Corigliano d'Otranto is part of the Grecìa Salentina, a linguistic island where we still speak, in addition to the dialect of Salento, an ancient language of Greek derivation, the griko.The architectural, historical, environmental and archaeological heritage of Corigliano d'Otranto is very rich and represented by churches, military and civil architectures.The Chiesa Madre dates back to 1622 and was built on a more ancient structure of which some architectural elements remain as the portal dated 1573 and surmounted by the statues of the Redeemer, the Madonna and San Nicola di Mira, patron of the country. The bell tower, dating back to 1467-68, is located not far from the church. Originally it served as a lookout tower, inserted into the medieval city walls, to memory of which still remain the decorations present in the bell tower Among the other important religious buildings we find: the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, built in neo-Gothic style between the twenties and years Nineteenth-century sixties; the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie, datable around the first half of the seventeenth century; the Chapel of the Madonna degli Angeli, built between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and the Chapel of San Leonardo built around the second half of the fifteenth century. Piazza Vittoria is an extensive green area for public gardens where the holm oaks predominate. The legend tells that in this pizza was buried the general of the Turkish army died during the siege of the country. Among the most elegant palaces to mention are Palazzo Comi, which overlooks the central Piazza San Nicola, built in 1755, still Palazzo Peschiulli , dating back to 1781, Palazzo de 'Monti and Palazzo Coia, dating back to the sixteenth century.Alone in the central square to see is the civic clock tower rebuilt in 1644 and modified in 1770.The ancient portal known as Arco Lucchetti, located in Vico Cold, it was built in 1497 by the owner of the building, mastro Nicola Robi, who was also the architect. Among the most important attractions the medieval Castle de 'Monti, which was radically renovated and enlarged between 1514 and 1519 from Giovan Battista de 'Monti. It is entirely surrounded by a moat and is spread over a square plant, at the corners of which there are four massive circular towers.
Città Bella is the meaning of the name of Gallipoli, a seaside town lying like a mirage on the Ionian coast, about 40 km from Lecce. The ancient village, perched on an island of limestone origin, is connected to the mainland and the new city by a bridge with arches of the twentieth century, recently flanked by another bridge towards the port. The walls, the ramparts and the towers, which once protected the city from invaders, today shelter from the storms giving it a charm of the past. Before landing in the old town with its paved streets from which often glitters a slice of sea , it is worth slowing down the walk with a stop at the true fish market, located in the original moat of the imposing castle, to contend with the true gallipolini the catch of the day. The Angevin fortress, almost completely surrounded by the sea, recently renovated, is accessible from the old city and offers the opportunity to immerse yourself in history through towers, tunnels, corridors and majestic rooms. The old city seems to announce itself with the Greek fountain, monument in reality of renaissance origin, with baroque pediment, while behind it, between the swing of the sea in the sea overlook the Sanctuary of Santa Maria del Canneto and the Chapel of Santa Cristina, protector of the city, saint beloved by men of the sea.
Historically hegemonic center of the Greco-Salentine culture of Terra d'Otranto (still today it is an integral part of the historical area of linguistic minority called Grecìa Salentina), it is striking thanks to its millennial tradition of mixing earth between oriental and western culture underlined by the frescoes of church of S. Sofia and S. Stefano and of the Spire of Raimondello.
In the heart of Grecìa Salentina, 26 km from Lecce, lies the village of Melpignano. The small village at the end of August is flooded with more than one hundred thousand spectators of the Notte della Taranta in the Borghi Autentici d'Italia club, and in the background of the event, unique in Southern Italy, is the square in front of the solitary Convent of the Augustinians in Baroque style, built between 1573 and 1662, with its riot of columns, swirls and cherubs. From here, with a short walk you reach the historic center. Palazzo Marchesale De Luca, commissioned by Giorgio Castriota-Scanderbeg in 1636, stands on the side of Via Roma. Amazes the garden of relevance, a small green oasis of the lords of the past. But the real surprise is at the end of Via Roma, where the unusual Piazza San Giorgio has a porticoed structure built in the '500 to accommodate a thriving weekly market that carried out on calcareous pallets. The small Church of the Annunciation and the Mother Church dedicated to the patron Saint George, instead, confer to this place of commerce an aura of sacredness.